Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm a fish, I'm a fish.

Yesterday D and I went to his annual work party at the local water park. Him and I usually go tons throughout the summer as it's only a few moments away from the house, and is a great night after he works all day.

It was fairly chilly, but it didn't stop me from running into the wave pool after lunch and after getting use to the temperature, we ventured out to the six foot depth and waited for the waves to be turned on. I often go out this deep but most of the younger kids at the park won't head out that fair, and no one will be thrown into you as you ride the waves around.

When the waves started, I found myself so relaxed as I have much experience in the water. I love it. I would live in it if I could. Deric can swim, although not as well I can. And once the waves got going he had to retreat to the 5'5 depth because wave after wave kept going over his head. Even before the waves started, we were floating in the water, he had to tread water to keep himself up. It was so effortless for me. I never really noticed myself having to do much to keep myself above the water. Even going under the water, he has to plug his nose. I can easily go under without having to do that, and I can open my eyes easily too.

So after, we discussed swimming lessons an how I attended them for over ten years. He had not. In fact, except for football he had never taken any sort of lessons or gone to any type of summer camp. It surprised me, because that's all I did when I was young.

I started to think last night about all the different things when I was young, and I was spoiled! I never thought about it before, because everyone around me did the same thing. I thought it was normal for most young kids to take lessons or attend camp in the summer.

Here is the complete list of things I did as a child

- Swimming Lessons (10+ years)
- Skating Lessons ( 4 + years)
- Summer Camp ( I did this multiple years, different kinds)
- Brownies & Girl Guides
- Dance Lessons
- Reading Club
- Ballet
- Tennis
- Karate
- Craft Classes
- Gymnastics
- Babysitting courses
- cpr/first aid classes

I'm 100% sure that I am forgetting some, but those were the main ones. I taught lessons too.

So it was interesting to see that not everyone does (or has the same chances) to experience these types of things when growing up. Although D and I currently do not plan on ever having children (right now away), I would want any we did have to experience the same things I did. I'm so happy I can swim well (I use to swim across the lake when we went camping, it was awesome!).

D calls me a fish all the time, so I can help but hear "I'm a fish, I'm a fish" everytime I swim now.

No comments:

Post a Comment